Hopper: "2009-2012: 55 deals in hosting, $29+ billions; that's a vibrant deal market"
Hopper: "We do not believe data center is over capacity; we believe in many markets, not enough supply to meet demand"
Hopper: "Next 12 months? whole space pricing model gaining traction vs. bundled rack/space pricing"
Hopper: "PUE: power/usage/effectiveness metrics: mattering more, but lots of misinformation
Hopper: "People don't want raw materials, they want finished goods; thus hosting shift to vertical focus"
Hopper: "Cincinnati Bell entrance into hosting one of the best examples of value creation in recent times (!!); Verizon, too"
Hopper: "Expect flurry of deals before year end; capital gain increase is equiv to 9% incr in tax rate; many ppl will unload"
Hopper: "If capital raise/sale is on horizon, get your financials in order; do you have audited financials?"
Hopper: "Do you have financial model that projects out 2 years or more?"
Hopper: "Do you have large customers nearing contract expiration, or concentration of expirations coming up"
Hopper: "Are customer contracts transferrable; lots of times, we pull material contracts, and we find that it's not xferable"
Hopper: "Rev/KW, avg monthly gross/net; capacity utilization, contract waterfall (any big renewals?), sales force stats"
Hopper: "Cash flow/EBITDA is the main arbiter of value"
argh! Missed most of "why I killed Pluto" keynote, busy talking to @jezhumble! Can he start talk over?@marcocoulter: RT @451Research: And now... the man who killed Pluto. Mike Brown talks about his discovery of Eris. #HCTSNA
RT @marcocoulter: RT @451Research: And now... the man who killed Pluto. Mike Brown talks about his discovery of Eris. #HCTSNA
* Brown: "Why did I kill Pluto? Scientists care about classification; it's important to get right, otherwise we ask the wrong q's"
* @ehanselman: Pluto gets the Kuiper Belt from @plutokiller at #HCTSNA It's not a matter of semantics!
* Brown: "We took pictures of Ares
* @marcocoulter: Pluto could not stay a planet because we found a bigger object further out in the solar system - eris. #HCTSNA
RT @marcocoulter: Pluto could not stay a planet because we found a bigger object further out in the solar system - eris. #HCTSNA
* Brown: "10 years ago, we discovered a 'planet' with year of 12K years; only 200 years of those we can detect it"
* Brown: "1 in 60 chance of detecting it. Means that there are 30-60 others like it that we haven't detected"
* Brown: "30 are probably the size of Pluto; 15 are twice the size of Pluto"
* Brown: "if we find another plant past Pluto the size of Mars, we'll have huge another arg of what is and isn't planet again"
* Brown: "LSST (large scale synoptic? telescope) in Chile will take pic of entire night sky every 5 days; this used to take 5 yrs"
* Brown: "Years ago, the data pipeline requirements to ship data from Chile to US researchers would have been impossible"
* Brown: "his blog/website: www.mikebrownsplanet.com; @plutokiller"
* Brown: "@marcocoulter: Synoptic telescope will generate 20TB of data each night. Phew! #HCTSNA
RT @marcocoulter: Synoptic telescope will generate 20TB of data each night. Phew! #HCTSNA
* Brown: "@ehanselman: "It would be so awesome to discover something that would destroy the earth" @plutokiller @ #HCTSNA
* RT @e_hanselman: Brown: "It would be so awesome to discover something that would destroy the earth" @plutokiller @ #HCTSNA
* Brown: "My daughter has lunchbox with Pluto as planet. Why? My friends thinks it's funny." (Outraged that Pluto size exaggerated)
* Brown: "If you wait around here for 10 billion years,
* Q: "Why is Neptune wobbling?" A: "Bad data. Early data and crude tools led to wrong conclusion. It's exactly where it should be. No gravitation source, no giant planet lurking twice distance of solar system"
* Brown: "We have great data now. Neptune is exactly where it should be. No giant planet lurking within 2x radius of solar system"