- @chrisfarnham: At FB they commit to head and push to production twice per day.
- RT @lnxchk: RT @rberger: How many servers at Facebook? "Carl Sagan Big" #ChefConf @skeptomai
- RT @chrisfarnham: At FB they commit to head and push to production twice per day.
- @irabinovitch: RT @B1ackavar: "At Facebook, it is common for developers to own their own infrastructure" - Phil Dibowitz
- RT @irabinovitch: RT @B1ackavar: "At Facebook, it is common for developers to own their own infrastructure" - Phil Dibowitz
- @chipadeedoodah: #ChefConf Facebook: 4 people to manage tens of thousands of heterogenous systems, allowing devs to own/adjust relevant settings.
- RT @chipadeedoodah: #ChefConf Facebook: 4 people to manage tens of thousands of heterogenous systems, allowing devs to own/adjust relevant settings.
- @chipadeedoodah: #ChefConf FB: Config management needs to adapt to your workflow, instead of proscribing a workflow.
- @lnxchk: 15,000 nodes in a cluster at Facebook. illuminates the issues you only see at scale.
- Dibowitz: "We want to create infrastructure so everyone can make changes without fear; developers, DBAs, everyone" (Awesome)
- Dibowitz: "We wanted to move 'idempotency up the stack'; a risk is that these things get stale: cron records, sysctl, use, etc
- @jdeamattson: #ChefConf Testing must be easy. If it isn't easy, then people don't do it!
- Dibowitz: "Fabricator is our [something] tool"
- Dibowitz: Showing actual code from Fabricator: "delete this code after March 1st"; "This sucks. No one will do this"
- Dibowitz: "Before chef, we had cfengine2; we had thousands of sysctl records; we have hundreds of stale files"
- @jdeamattson: #ChefConf Pre-Chef Facebook had 150+ copies of sysctl.conf in CFEngine...
- @jbrand: 157 copies of sysctl.conf in cfengine2 :| #chefconf
- Dibowitz: Wow. "Now only two lines required for dbas to config up amount of shared memory; they know how to assign vars"
- Dibowitz: "Value: delegated configs to DBAs, reducing work; reduces knowledge needed for ops"
- @jdeamattson: #ChefConf Making delegation simple at Facebook: they just need to assign values to a Hash...
- Dibowitz: "Our chef infrastructure: we run open source chef and private chef"
- Dibowitz: "Why? we want open source chef to leverage work of community; & early access to private chef features"
- @newgoliath: "You can run Facebook sized clusters on Open Source Chef."
- @kevsmith: FB: “You can run Facebook sized clusters on OSS Chef Server” #ChefConf
- Dibowitz: "Our code process: code; review by peers; review by lint/food critic -> svn repos -> push to clusters"
- Dibowitz: "The world exists between chef runs; so persistent data come from FB systems of record (SOR)
- Dibowitz: "Facebook clusters: about 10K nodes; grocery runs every minute; avg rollout time to servers: about 15m
@ChefConf: RT @adamhjk: That's 80% idle, for 17k nodes on first pass. Good times. #chefconf, #facebook
@BryanStenson: RT +1!!! @dsackerman: "Geeks: Not only do we look forward to SkyNet. We want to build it."
@bradpat1: RT @aslaen: “Automation is more an evolution of trust than an evolution of technology” @glennodonnell
@jamesdotcuff: Crikey! @cyclecomputing listed up with the big boys and girls! @splunk @facebook @ancestrydotcom @prezi #ChefConf http://t.co/dNlyMh2oKT
@KaitlynHeinsohn: RT @wolf31o2: Innovate or die... traditional IT is a huge resource hog... embrace change and embrace the future #devops
@standardheart: RT @lnxchk: Give those geeks some change. Geeks love change. #ChefConf
@kmartinix: Pictures of facebook datacenters. New UIs. Soundtracks by @adamhjk
@wolf31o2: RT @aslaen: “Automation is more an evolution of trust than an evolution of technology” @glennodonnell
@wolf31o2: Just watched my own tweet on the screen at #chefconf #fb